Frequently Asked Questions About Orthodontics
What is orthodontics?
Orthodontics is a specialized form of dentistry. At Smiles Hollywood Orthodontics, we thoughtfully focus on the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of issues with the alignment of teeth and jaws. Braces or Clear Aligners are commonly used in treatment.
What is an orthodontist?
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who has received two to three years of additional training and experience in addition to four years of dental school. Dr. Crise and Dr. Downs are able to diagnose and treat overbites, occlusions, misaligned teeth and jaws and overcrowded mouths to improve the look and function of your smile!
What’s the best age to visit the orthodontist?
If you want to improve the look and feel of your smile, then any age can be a great time to see an orthodontist. The American Association of Orthodontists and Smiles Hollywood Orthodontics recommends that children first visit an orthodontist around the age of seven to see if early orthodontic treatment is necessary.
However, orthodontic treatment is not exclusive to children and teens. About one in every five orthodontic patients is an adult over the age of 21.
What are braces?
Braces are used by Dr. Crise and Dr. Downs to help you improve the look and feel of your smile. There are several different types of braces to choose from, including:
- Invisalign / Clear Aligners
- Damon Smile braces (self-ligating braces)
- Damon Smile Clear braces (self-ligating braces)
- In-Ovation braces (self-ligating braces)
- In-Ovation C (clear) braces (self-ligating braces)
If I get braces, how long do I have to wear them?
The amount of time spent in braces will vary, depending on the individual patient, because every smile responds differently to treatment. Treatment times can last anywhere from 6 to 30 months, but most standard treatments take about 18 to 22 months.
Do braces hurt?
Braces do not often hurt, though you may feel a small amount of discomfort for a couple days as your teeth, gums, cheeks, and mouth get used to your new braces.
Do I need to brush my teeth more often if I have braces?
With braces, you should brush your teeth at least three times a day to keep your teeth, gums, and mouth healthy and clean. Brushing regularly will help remove any food that may be caught between the braces.
You should also floss daily to get between your braces where your brush isn’t able to reach. Our Dental Assistants will show you how to brush and floss properly once your braces are placed on your teeth.
If I have braces, do I still need dental checkups every six months?
Yes! It is even more important when you are receiving orthodontic treatment. With braces, food may be caught in places your toothbrush can’t reach. This causes bacteria to build up that can lead to cavities, gingivitis, and gum disease. Your dentist and their hygienists are great at what they do. Smiles Hollywood Orthodontics will work closely with your dentist to make sure your teeth stay clean and healthy while you’re wearing braces.
Will my braces interfere with my school activities like sports, playing an instrument, or singing?
Playing an instrument or a contact sport may require some adjustment when you first get your braces, but wearing braces will not stop you from participating in any of your school activities. If you play a contact sport, it is recommended that you wear a mouthguard to protect your braces or appliance. Let us know if you play a sport and we will provide you with a specialized mouthguard.
How can I take care of my teeth if I’m wearing braces or a retainer?
- ALWAYS remember to brush your teeth after every meal and floss at least once a day.
- Make sure to use toothpaste that contains fluoride, and ask our office or your family dentist if you need a fluoride rinse. This will help prevent cavities!
- If you take out your retainer to eat, make sure you brush your teeth, floss, and remember to keep the retainer safe in its container so it does not get lost or broken.
- Keep your retainer clean, too, by brushing it gently with a toothbrush and toothpaste. You may also soak it in denture cleaner as instructed by our team. Do not put your retainer in boiling water or in the dishwasher.
- During your treatment, try to avoid these foods with a lot of sugar, which increases bacteria that grows in your mouth, and can cause more plaque and potential cavities.
- Avoid sticky and chewy foods (caramel, chewing gum, gummy bears), hard foods (hard candy, nuts, ice cubes), or any foods that could possibly get stuck in your braces (corn on the cob, soft bagels, ribs, taffy, etc.).
- Be sure to schedule your routine checkups with your family dentist. It is recommended that you continue to visit the dentist every six months.
How do I schedule my next appointment?
Simply call Smiles Hollywood Orthodontics! Our front desk staff will be happy to schedule your next appointment at your convenience. If you are a new patient or have been referred to our practice, please let us know and we will provide you with all the information you need.
Click here to schedule your FREE Smiles Hollywood Orthodontics evaluation, or call (972) 529-9700 to speak with someone on our dynamic team!
for braces and Invisalign® in the
McKinney, Allen, Fairview, Plano, Frisco, Celina, Prosper,
Melissa, Anna, & Princeton, Texas Areas
“They work with you as the patient to help you achieve that “Hollywood” smile. As a kid I remember coming here and loving it, I mean the inside is decked out like Hollywood so it is very kid friendly. There is free popcorn, coffee, and video games kids can play while they wait. The staff is very nice as well as the doctors. From when I was a kid up until my frequent visits recently I have seen the same doctors and nothing has changed! They are SO nice! Warm and welcoming.”~ River L.
“For anyone looking to get braces, this is the place to get them! Dr. Crise and the entire staff here are excellent! I have 3 boys who all have gotten braces here. I couldn’t be happier with the results. They have great smiles!”~ Phil G.
“Dr. Crise and her team are the best there is. They take so much personal pride in achieving the best possible result. You never feel like you are just being put through a one-size-fits-all program. Dr. Crise has done braces for my 3 children and her work is excellent. Plus, they LOVE her. She is so happy and fun, your kids will actually look forward to their visits to Smiles Hollywood!”~ Anne-Marie G.